Monday, February 14, 2011

Wait, I am moving to IOWA?! What?!?

     About a year ago I was caught in the crazy turmoil that every college senior goes through... "What's next?!". You might think that after 18 years of being in school and taking classes, especially in college when you really get into specifics, that I had discovered what I wanted to do. But as everyone else around me edged closer to graduation and starting making phone calls about internships and applying for positions, I just heard crickets. I didn't know where to go or what to do, but trusting in God I began to look at the passions He put in me. And everything that I loved to do had a resounding theme; serving others. This lead me to the program called AmeriCorps NCCC.
     For those of you who haven't heard of AmeriCorps NCCC, let me break it down for you. AmeriCorps is a program for the Corporation for National and Community Service. It was drawn from the Civilian Conservation Corps of the 1930's. We partner with non-profit organizations to address needs in our community and country related to natural disasters, environment stewardship and conservation, energy conservation, infrastructure improvement and urban/rural development. Some project examples may be working with the forestry department on controlled burnings, cleaning up and community building after flooding/hurricane damage, building homes with Habitat for Humanity. I am placed on a team of eight to twelve members between the ages of 18-24. For ten months we travel the U.S. serving, with a new project and location every six to eight weeks. So for a girl that loves serving others, getting my hands dirty, traveling and trying new things, this opportunity seemed unbelievable!
     So now here I am, twenty four hours away from stepping on an airplane and flying to the icy cornfields of Vinton, Iowa (the campus I was randomly chosen to serve at, woohoo!). I get butterflies just thinking about it. I will be trading in the sunshine and sweltering heat of Florida for sub zero weather and snow banks taller than myself. And corn, lots and lots of corn.
      Some of you may be asking, "What is the deal with her Blog name? "Riding the Wind? Pray for windy weather? Huh?". Well, I know that God has lead me to this opportunity in my life, just like he has done and will continue to do in my life and yours :) I love the idea that when we are serving God, we just go where he sends us. Knowing the he is good and provides a hope and future for his children. I know what I will be doing tomorrow, flying to Iowa, but after that I have no clue. I don't know who I will meet or where and what my projects will be, or if I will have enough clothes to keep me from being frostbitten! But I know that God has a plan, and that trusting in him is all I need.

"The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." John 3:8


     We are called to be like seeds, fearfully and wonderfully created with a purpose. Blown in the winds of our creator to the places he calls us. Like a dandelion. We are planted, grow and produce fruit and then are sent off again wherever the Wind pleases. So friends, join me. Listen for God and trust what he says. Wait for the breeze, and pray for windy weather. 

4 comments:

  1. YES! First to follow! I wanted to be the first to follow you Boo because you are a leader. You are going to step forward in faith and Jesus has got your back. You have a prayer nation! All of us around you are lifting you up daily! When times get tough remember... you are not alone and to lean on God and those God put into your life. We love you and are your biggest fans and followers for that matter. #1!! Whoop whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so honored to be your friend and sister! I'm excited to read what God is doing in your life and I can't wait to have our phone date! I'm praying for you. God has some great plans for you, just remember that he is good and to let that Godly light shine! AOT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky! I just wanted to tell you I miss you and pray for you. I'm heading over to IV right now, but I just had to shoot you a line. If I wasn't too old (25) I'd join this AmeriCorp. It sounds just like my kinda thing. I love you and Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BECK! : ) I'm so excited for this blog well for one because I enjoy stalking my best friends and on a less creepy level I cannot wait to just see the things God does in your life big, small, crazy, werid, funny.... Keep following the Lord because he definitely uses you in ways that are so reaffirming to my faith and mannnyyyyyyy others! I love you sister and best friend : )

    ReplyDelete