Friday, February 18, 2011

Rambles that I hope will make you giggle and think...





    Well hello from the corn fields of Vinton, Iowa!!! Today is the end of my third day here. And instead of recapping a play-by-play of every moment, let me give you some of my favorites and paint you a few mind pictures.....
     From the tiny 50 passenger plain Iowa looked like a patchwork of white and grey. The corn fields that I pictured in my mind were nothing more than muddy fields with deep scars from years of plowing (which is sooo duh Becky, WINTER!) But I am so excited for the hope of Spring. Walking through the rows of corn with my eyes closed, sun on my face after a pale and pasty winter. Feeling the leaves tickle my palms as I walk past. Hope it is better than my imagination can conjure! May be a little corny (ha!) I know, but hey I am pumped to trade in sandy shores for fertilizer rich corn fields!
     I have concluded that for the most part, I love uniforms! I may look like a man but I have added 15 minutes to my sleep schedule in wardrobe planning. And turns out I brought an embarrassing about of clothes. So instead of receiving care packages I will most likely be sending some home to my teenage sister. More big sister clothes, woo hooo! So, back to the uniform... theme word is masculine. Yay... The pants are to be worn at our "natural waist", which if I actually wore them that way would be just a few inches under my bra, so how about no. lol. Instead I wear them at my bellybutton and still have about 4 inches of saggy crotch space. With our shirts tucked in and black belt like a bow on top, every beautiful woman looks like a truck driver. So all I have to do is put on a little chap stick and mascara and deodorant and let me tell you, I looook gooooood. Fun fact.... if 100 people are wearing it, it is officially a trend. So, I got 200 backing me, and if you don't look like my clone (beige, baggy and belted) you just ain't cool.
        I am loving meeting the people at my campus and native Iowians (Iowains? Iowish? haha idk.). If every person that was recruited for this program was labeled with a certain color, I don't think even Crayola would be creative enough to name us all. It is really awesome and beautiful and it shows how diverse God is since we are all created in His image. I walk around with a big smile on my face, asking what everyone is up to. I have had many opportunities to play mommy already. You know me. Made a sandwich for a teammate today and even cut it down the middle for him.
       I've had a few really awesome God moments already. No surprises there since he's carries us in His palm. Most already know what I believe. I hope I can make it clear that it is not so much that I am a Christian and about what I believe, but rather WHO I believe in. One moment that sticks out to me is since the day I got here there has been this guy that I have noticed. On the tiny plane to Iowa, I had no place to put my carry on. He noticed and took his from above and stuffed it under his heels (leaving his knees piled on his chest) to give me a spot. So kind and rare. But whenever I had seen him after that he was always on his own, ear buds in, even sitting in the corner while a room of others chatted cheerfully. Hurt my heart. So one night he was sitting alone in the lobby listening to music and I walked past to get to my room and smiled. Roommate was gone so I decided it was time to hang out with God. But as I got quiet I kept hearing the tagline from this conference I just went to......, "Empathy is not enough. Be the Love." So, you know those moments where you know God is talking to you and you keep trying to convince yourself otherwise??? Well this was one of those.  Thankfully, as always, God got his way and a minute later I was praying for some "winds" (reference to previous blog, "The wind blows wherever it pleases, you hear it's sound but you cannot tell from where is comes or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the spirit." John 3:8). I got to spend two hours talking with the guy, learning about his life (which has been really rough), and getting to encourage him. It was awesome. Please pray for my lonely friend, that we would feel surrounded my love. I could read my bible for hours and not feel any closer to Jesus then I did during that time when I listened to that still small voice and loved one of His sheep. I have daily found myself shocked at how and where God appears. Met an awesome Christian brother here too who wants to start a bible study, and now have a group of about five heading to church this Sunday! I have learned to keep my eyes peeled because people are not what they seem. Like our creator we are complex and full of surprises :) So friend, I challenge you; how closely are you paying attention? What is God telling you to do? And (moment of truth...) are you going to listen?

Jesus said: "I have set you an example, that you should do as I have done for you.... Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." John 13:15-16


Love you all and thank you for how you love me back. Like before... Pray for Windy Weather.
  

5 comments:

  1. Seriously this makes me so happy! Wow. God is just too cool and I'm so glad you are ALREADY seeing how much he loves you after just 3 days.... I cannot wait to hear more this is fantastic. I love you so much! Keep listening to the big man. I was just like saying omg that whole post ha...5 people so great!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This isn't Martin, cuz I haven't taken the time to open a blog account. But I'll simply ghost write this: now I know why you were an English major. Keep the written pix coming. Love you Mur

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful!!! I am so excited to keep hearing about your journey!! Love you sweet friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking as an "ex-pat" from that amazing state, people from Iowa are "Iowans." :) Hello fellow Iowan! *Sigh* Reminds me of Iowa State this time of year. Keep having fun and being you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky, this was great! Know that from the moment I met you, I felt the Lord's love radiating from you. You have the gift of loving people, you can call that being a "mom, but it truly is a gift! Praying for you and all your new friends. XXOO

    ReplyDelete